Hugh is a highly experienced strategist, digital leader and enterprise architect with more than 25 years architecting and leading complex change and transformation initiatives across Public and Private sectors.
As businesses have increasingly looked towards technology to deliver not only cost efficiencies but also competitive advantage, growth, innovation and new customer experiences, Hugh has frequently been called upon to facilitate, assess, design, lead and direct business, and digital and technology change across organisations. He has been responsible for architecting and delivering digital transformation and new business innovation across industries, including Central Government, Mobile Telecommunications, Financial Services, and Pharmaceuticals. He has also established and led teams responsible for delivering digital architecture and inspired change across organisations.
Until June 2017, he was Principal Architect at the Ministry of Justice, leading the design and delivery of digital change for one of the largest digital transformation programmes across UK Government, HM Courts and Tribunal Services (HMCTS)
Prior to that, he has held a number of senior positions providing leadership and directing digital change, including:
- Chief Architect and Strategist at the UK Border Agency
- Lead Architect and Programme Manager at Lloyds Banking Group, Commercial Wholesale Banking Division
- Interim Head of Architecture (Chief Architect) at Plymouth City Council and Bristol City Council
- Principal Architect and Project Manager at IMS Health
- Transformation Lead Architect and Project Manager at Orange Mobile (leading and delivering Orange’s Pre-Pay service amongst a number of other innovative digital mobile initiatives)
Hugh’s key areas of focus continue to be:
- Vision, strategy and the operationalisation and delivery of business, technical and digital strategies
- Designing and delivering large, complex digital transformational change in support of new Digital Ways of Working and Operating Models
- Commercial awareness and focus enabling businesses to exploit opportunities as they arise
- Enterprise architecture, including establishing and leading digital architecture services and teams; frameworks and delivery; and integrated engagement and governance
- Supporting structured programme and project management but passionate about flexibility, pragmatism, and iterative and incremental delivery (AGILE)
- Coaching, facilitating, and assessing business and IT leadership concerning EA, technology innovation, cost optimisation, resource allocation, people development, time, financial and risk management
- Passionate about re-use and transferability across industry sectors, despite many organisations and people thinking they are unique!
Hugh studied at Strathclyde Graduate Business School (MBA – Strategy Definition, Development, Cognitive Analysis, and Organisational Learning and Delivery), University of SA (MSc, ACCA(SA))